Catering to the professional golf and sportsturf management industry, the Western Canada Turfgrass Association Board of Directors is pleased to release our 57th Annual Conference and Trade Show event program.
Along with a world-class line-up of turf management educational heavy hitters, presenting February 11-13, 2020 at the River Rock Casino Resort in Richmond, BC, our supplier and service provider trade show is the largest of its kind in western Canada.
WCTA 57th Annual Conference & Trade Show
River Rock Casino Resort, Richmond, BC
Feb 11-13, 2020
Keep reading for a rundown on what’s happening to get the most out of this year’s show including pre-conference seminars, four educational tracks spanning two days, turf industry trade show and social functions.
#1 – Pre-Conference Seminar Day Tuesday, February 11th
Take your pick of four separate pre-conference seminars kicking off the program all taking place 12:30pm – 4:30pm at the River Rock Casino Resort:
• In partnership with the BCGSA, Dr. Doug Soldat from the University of Wisconsin will help you navigate the complexities of turf health with ‘Building a Fundamentally Sound Fertilization Program’.
• Internationally renowned synthetic turf expert, Dr. John Sorochan from the University of Tennessee, will deliver ‘Mythbusters – Turf Performance and Safety’. Dr. Sorochan is often called upon to answer high level questions from around the world related to athlete safety and factors affecting turf performance.
• So you can earn CEC points and still take in all the regular program talks, Mario Lanthier from CropHealth Advising & Research presents a 4 point workshop. Credit applications for BC and Alberta are in progress.
• Our most popular pre-con seminar is back with a twist! Top turf teachers, Jason Pick of Olds College and Stan Kazymerchyk of Kwantlen University will build on previous iterations with the all-new ‘Intro to Turf Management 2.0’. No pre-requisite is required and attendance includes trade show access on Feb 12. Perfect for front-line staff, greens committee chairs or anyone needing more basic turf knowledge in their daily roles.
Catch up with friends and colleagues this evening at our annual President’s Reception starting at 7:00pm in the River Rock Show Theatre Upper Foyer, just upstairs from our registration desk. Full package delegates and exhibitors will find tickets in their packages or you can purchase a ticket separately.
#2 – Education and Trade Show Wednesday, Feb 12th
Vancouver Whitecaps FC Ring of Honour inductee Carl Valentine opens our show at 8:30am followed by another keynote address by Dr. Michael Brownbridge called ‘Grass is Not a Foe’ (our educational theme this year). Then, it’s the WCTA AGM lunch followed by multiple educational breakout sessions including our new ‘Specialty Track’. Trade show reception opens at 3:00pm and runs until 6:30pm.
#3 – Education and Trade Show Thursday, Feb 13th
Multiple education tracks resume at 8:30am with lunch in the trade show from 11:30am – 1:00pm followed by the afternoon education sessions starting at 1:30pm. We’ll end with an entertaining presenter named Wes Barker who calls himself the ‘Stunt Magician’ followed by introduction of your new Board of Directors and perhaps the best part of the show, our famous prize toss.
Wait, There’s More!
• Be sure to peruse this year’s Silent Auction on Wednesday, Feb 12 from 1:00pm to 6:30pm and Thursday, February 13 from 8:00am to 1:30pm. Our goal is to raise $15,000 for turf research! Bid winners be sure you come back after 1:30pm on Thursday to claim your item as they won’t be shipped.
• Please sign the CEC sheets as they go around to collect points.
• Enjoy the River Rock Casino Resort before and/or after the show. Our special room rates are extended three days pre and post-event.
Delegate registration expected by end-November, maybe sooner. Hardcopy registration forms will be included with the Dec/Jan Turf Line News Magazine schedule for early December mailout.