BC Lions Quarterback Travis Lulay to Headline WCTA 2018 Conference
Release…November 1, 2017
2018 conference and trade show organization is well underway and while our education program is on the verge of completion, the Board is excited to announce Travis Lulay of the BC Lions has been confirmed as our kick-off speaker.
Lulay spent his entire CFL career with the BC Lions, appearing in 117 games, throwing for 17,165 yards and 104 touchdowns. He led the Lions to a Grey Cup championship in 2011, being named the Grey Cup MVP and he took home the CFL Most Outstanding Player award that same season.
The 34-year-old from Aumsville, Oregon, understands the value of turf at the highest levels and part of his presentation will relate playing field conditions to his own career and experiences.
WCTA President and Conference Committee Chair Peter Sorokovsky is enthusiastic, stating, “What a great way to showcase the value of turf! Mr. Lulay will bring a perspective we’ve never heard before and I think turf managers from all sectors will better understand that what we do is important at so many levels.”
WCTA Executive Director Jerry Rousseau added, “The speaker line-up will start and end strong with plenty of great talks in-between. The organizing committee has done an excellent job creating this year’s educational programming and on another note, the RiverRock venue is both amazing and affordable. If you haven’t been there before, look to be impressed!”
Other aspects of the show, taking place Feb 14-16, 2018 at the RiverRock Casino Resort in Richmond, BC, have also been confirmed including:
• Pre-conference workshops Wednesday, February 14th including the BCGSA/WCTA co-sponsored session with Dr. Micah Woods of the Asian Turfgrass Center and our popular pesticide applicator training with Mario Lanthier, both taking place at the Point Grey Golf Club.
• Sports Turf Canada Synthetic Turf Safety and Maintenance Certification Course, Wednesday, February 14th all day at the RiverRock Resort.
• The inaugural ‘iTURF Golf Tourney for Turf Research’ hosted by Point Grey Golf Club goes at 12:30pm on Wednesday, February 14th. Pre-con seminar attendees can participate at no extra cost. It’s a rare opportunity to play one of the nicest private golf clubs in the province and support turf research at the same time.
• Game-on! Puck drops at 7:15pm on Thursday, February 15th at the Richmond Ice Centre for the ‘Dave Creamer Memorial Hockey Game’.
• 3+ hour maintenance facility tour, Friday, February 16th, locations include Point Grey Golf Club, Richmond City Works and others.
• Dedicated trade show time from 3:00pm to 6:00pm, Thursday, February 15th and 11:30am to 3:00pm, Friday, February 16th.
• BC and Alberta CEC/CEU points will be available.
Room rates start at $159/night with rates extended 3 days prior and post event. Booking instructions to be released mid-November and we recommend reserving soon after.
Exhibitor registration is also expected to open by mid-November with delegate registration starting early December.
About the WCTA
The WCTA is a 700+ member, inter-provincial, not-for-profit industry organization whose purpose is to promote the interchange of scientific and practical knowledge through education, discussion, research and to undertake advocacy relating to the care and management of turfgrass.
The WCTA is proud to serve and support a diverse range of professional turf management interests such as golf courses, school boards, municipalities, sod farms, nurseries, landscapers, lawn bowling greens, mechanics, horticulturists and industry suppliers.
For further information, contact:
Jerry Rousseau, Executive Director
Western Canada Turfgrass Association