Marijauna On the Golf Course Part Duh - Survey Results Are In
via Inside Golf Magazine and BC Golf Association
The marijuana survey is now complete with 56 facilities and 5466 golfers responding. Thank you to all those who participated.
In-depth articles can be found at these links (and in the current print version of Inside Golf magazine)
- Overview Article https://issuu.com/igdesignpublishing/docs/ig1808-bci_vi/10
- Survey Results Article https://issuu.com/igdesignpublishing/docs/ig1808-bci_vi/12
FACILITY SURVEY KEY RESULTS*
*Facility breakdown: Private - 9; Semi-Private - 20; Public - 27
- 75% of facilities currently do not have a marijuana policy in place
- 60% are likely or very likely to allow marijuana use on their course
- 53% plan to have a policy similar to that for tobacco and cigars
- 32% plan to modify their golf car policy
- 27% would consider selling marijuana if allowed
* Full data sets available on request
ALL-GOLFERS COMBINED SURVEY KEY FINDINGS & HIGHLIGHTS*
*63% of respondents are members at a club; 37% are daily fee players; 97% are from BC, 3% from Alberta
- Six-in-ten respondents are uncomfortable with people smoking marijuana on the course
- One-in-seven golfers(16%) plan to smoke marijuana on the golf course.
- The % planning to smoke marijuana on the course rises to 50% for those under the age of 35
- Almost nine-in-ten of those planning to smoke marijuana on the course view it as the same as drinking alcohol or smoking tobacco/cigars (as compared to only six-in-ten for nonsmokers).
- Being comfortable being paired with someone smoking marijuana on the golf course declines in a straight line as age increases (<35: 75%, 35-54: 50%, ≥55: 25%)
- Three-quarters of respondents )both daily fee and club members) do not think that marijuana should be smoked within viewing distance of junior players. The % is significantly lower for younger respondents (38% for the <35 vs. 73% for those 55+)
- Almost half of those who plan to smoke think kids should see them smoking vs only 12% for those who do not plan to smoke
CLUB MEMBERS ONLY SURVEY KEY FINDINGS & HIGHLIGHTS*
*85% of respondents are aged 55+; 98% are from BC, 2% from Alberta
- Overall, 2/3 of members are uncomfortable with anyone smoking marijuana on the course
- Broken down by age, 80% of members aged 18-34 are comfortable with golfers smoking marijuana on-course vs. just 26% for those 55+.
- Approximately three-quarters of non-marijuana smoking members will be uncomfortable with its use on the course
- Almost 80% of non-marijuana smoking members would be not comfortable with being paired with someone smoking marijuana
- Eight-in-ten members overall would like to have input into decisions regarding marijuana at the club. This rises to 88% for those planning to smoke.
- There is no significant difference between in the percentage of club members and daily fee players planning to smoke (16%)
- Three-quarters of respondents do not think that marijuana should be smoked within viewing distances of junior players. There is no difference between daily fee and club members here either.
For more information, please contact:
Publisher & President, INSIDE GOLF Inc.
Direct Cell 778 533 4653
Partner Publisher to British Columbia Golf, The WCTA and the PGA's Of BC & AB
www.insidegolf.ca • www.britishcolumbiagolf.org • www.wcta-online.com