2017 AGM Minutes
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING MINUTES
54th Annual WCTA Conference & Trade Show
11:30 pm Friday, February 17, 2017, Salon B/C, Penticton Trade & Convention Centre
1. CALL TO ORDER
- President Jason Pick called the meeting to order at 11:50am, introduced the Board of Directors and Past Presidents.
- Quorum was met with 61 WCTA members present.
M/S/C C. Pawson / K. Hewlett; to approve AGM Agenda
2. NOMINATING COMMITTEE REPORT
Presented by Committee Chair, Trevor Smith
President (2 years):
Peter Sorokovsky (City of Burnaby Golf Operations)
Vice President (2 years):
Norley Calder (City of Calgary Parks)
Directors with 1 year remaining:
Stan Kazymerchyk (Kwantlen University)
Frits Verkerk (Gallagher’s Canyon GC)
Cameron Watt (Redwoods GC)
Directors to be elected (2 years):
Travis Olson (Kamloops GC)
Davin Marr (Hillview GC)
Directors to be elected (1 year):
Andre Dionne (City of Coquitlam)
Past President (2 years):
Jason Pick (Olds College)
M/S/C K. Lyall / C. Pawson; to close nominations.
M /S/C C. Pawson / T. Buckner; to acclaim the slate of candidates as nominated.
M/S/C D. Marr / C Pawson; to adopt minutes of the AGM February 24, 2016.
4. PRESIDENT'S REPORT – Jason Pick
Necrology Report - A moment of silence was observed for WCTA Members and Turf Industry Colleagues
- Matt Suderman, Bearspaw Golf Club, Calgary AB
Thanks to the board for their hard work. Notable 2016 events include:
- First Green event in Langley
- Summer field day in Calgary
- Advocacy efforts
- CTRF administration services contract
Thanks to KPU students for their help and conference research fundraising efforts
Thanks to Trevor Smith
5. FINANCIAL REPORT 2016 Fiscal Year End (Sept 30, 2016)
Presented by Travis Olson, Finance Director
• Balance in bank accounts
o General operating: $23,635.53
o Research $15,439.94
o Term Deposits $95,365.91
M/S/C C. Pawson / J. Bennett that September 30, 2016 year end Statement of Revenues and Expenditures be adopted as reviewed by Evancic Perrault Robertson, Certified General Accountants, and circulated at the AGM.
6. RESEARCH REPORT
Given orally by Peter Sorokovsky, Research Chair (full report posted online).
• 2016 expenditures $19,000
- $5000 special contribution to AGA for IPM Manual
- $7,500 to Guelph University
- $2500 to Goose Management
- $4000 to CTRFannual contribution
• 2017 approved for $20,000
o $4,000 CTRF
o $6,000 OSU for alternative irrigation strategies
o 2nd year $10,000 for OSU alternative fungicide use
M/S/C C. Pawson / K. Hewlett that Evancic Perrault Robertson, Certified General Accountants, be appointed to review WCTA financial statements for fiscal year ending September 30, 2016.
7. COMMITTEE REPORTS
An overview of Environmental Advocacy committee status was given orally by Keith Lyall.
• IPM manual legislative side should be ready by the end of March 2017; pest profiles will be a living, breathing document as it goes forward.
• Water Sustainability Act specifically regarding wells & well water
• Continue to discuss the Metro Vancouver Water Shortage Response Plan
• New WHMIS 2015 standard
• IPM regulation compliance has received good feedback
8. NEW BUSINESS
Presentation of Life Member Awards – Rod MacDonnell, Dan Cooper
- Justin Smit, Olds College $1250
- Jason Morgan, KPU $750
- Alyssa Lake, Olds College $500
9. PRESIDENT REMARKS
o Thanks all for attending. Looks forward to being President
10. ADJOURNMENT 12:39pm
M/S/C C. Pawson / K. Hewlett to adjourn.