Message from the Organizing Committee and Instructions for all WOTS-UP Participants
‘WOTS-UP!’ – It’s a Statement not a Question
‘WCTA Online Trade Show & Unprecedented Presentations’ (WOTS-UP!)
Feb 10-11, 2021 via Zoom
Message from the Organizing Committee and Instructions for all WOTS-UP Participants,
Welcome turf management conference and trade show goers, to a new experience this year as we continue navigating challenges brought on by COVID-19. In lieu of seeing you in person, we have created this 2-day virtual event complete with education sessions, supplier and service provider interaction, and networking opportunities, all available from the comfort of your own space.
Even better, WOTS-UP! is free for WCTA members to attend! Non-WCTA members from all turf management sectors are invited to participate for $267+gst, coincidentally, the same price as a 2021 membership!
If you’re new to video conferencing platforms like Zoom, don’t worry, it’s doesn’t take an IT background to connect. The WCTA Board uses Zoom meetings a lot and our WOW series has been successfully hosted using the Zoom webinar function. It’s easy to participate from a computer or laptop, smart phone or tablet. Since there’s no charge for WCTA members, it’s a great time to give it a try, here’s more to go on…
• The best way to participate in a Zoom meeting is from a laptop, Mac or PC and we’ve found CHROME is the best browser. Phones and tablets work too but you may not be able to use all the functions.
• For best laptop results, download and install ‘Zoom Client for Meetings’. When done, the Zoom window will open (see below). No further action is required at this point but you can click ‘Sign-In’ and setup a free Zoom account, if you don’t have one you’ll find it comes in handy!
o If you’ve downloaded Zoom before and don’t have an account, do it again to ensure you have the latest version (5.5.2)
o If you have an account, make sure to get the latest update by opening the app, clicking on your profile picture in the top right, then clicking ‘Check for Updates’ in the dropdown menu.
• For best mobile results, go to your app store and install Zoom Cloud Meetings.
• Once registered and approved for WOTS-UP!, you’ll be emailed login credentials from Zoom. You should already have received this email, if not please get in touch with us.
• When the time comes, near the bottom of the invite you’ll see ‘Click Here to Join’. This will automatically load Zoom and put you into the meeting. The link is good for both days and is unique to you. You can login 5 minutes before the start time each day.
• A webcam isn’t entirely necessary but it’s great when everyone can see each other.
• Built-in microphones and speakers on most devices work fine but a lot of people have upgraded for a better experience.
• For the purpose of CEC/CEU tracking, we need everyone to register and login individually as we’ll be using polling questions to validate attendance. This doesn’t work when multiple people are watching from one monitor.
• Finally, please take a few minutes to get yourself setup well in advance of our event. The process isn’t hard but starting 5 minutes beforehand is never a good idea!
How the show will roll:
I will be your host, along with WCTA Vice President, Cam Watt and our Executive Director, Jerry Rousseau, will be handling the Zoom controls. If you’ve never used Zoom, at the start of each day, we’ll briefly go over how to navigate the platform and use functions like chat to ensure you’re comfortable. I encourage you to get to know the show program and everything the event has to offer in advance by checking out the following links:
Along with guest speakers, we have a variety of sponsored presentations during the program and Zoom breakout rooms will open and close at prescribed times - think of these as virtual trade show booths but if you don’t have the latest Zoom version, breakout rooms won’t work. Here’s the schedule:
Ok, that’s enough for now! I do want to thank our title sponsors, Keso Turf and Syngenta, along with all our presentation and breakout room sponsors, and our hard-working organizing committee for putting the show together.
In closing, I look forward to hosting and hope you enjoy this new, virtual experience – see you at WOTS-UP!
PS: for all WCTA members, remember to stick around for our AGM following the final session on Feb 11.
Conference Organizing Committee Chair
If you’re receiving this message and have yet to register, WOTS-UP! is free for WCTA members to attend! Non-WCTA members from all turf management sectors are invited to participate for $267+gst, coincidentally, the same price as a 2021 membership!