2016 Annual General Meeting Minutes
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
53rd Annual WCTA Conference & Trade Show
12:00 pm Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Grand Foyer, Whistler Convention Centre
1. Call to order
• President Trevor Smith called the meeting to order at 12:00pm, introduced the Board of Directors and Past Presidents.
• Quorum A quorum of 206 members present.
• Necrology Report A moment of silence was observed for WCTA members:
• Dave Harrison, Richmond BC
• Dr. Roy Goss, Okanagan, Washington
M/S/C D. K. Hewlett / D. Marr; to approve minutes of the AGM March 11, 2015
3. PRESIDENT'S REPORT – Trevor Smith Given orally.
• Golf is interconnected with communities.
• First Green introduces children to golf
• Bring different groups together for the collective good of turf management.
4. FINANCIAL REPORT 2015 Fiscal Year End (Sept 30, 2015)
• Balance in bank accounts
o General operating: $7,141.47
o Research $17,622.13
o Term Deposits $115,523.06
M/S/C T. Buckner / W. Morgan; that September 30, 2015 year end Statement of Revenues and Expenditures be adopted as reviewed by Evancic Perrault Robertson, Certified General Accountants, and circulated at the AGM.
M/S/C T. Buckner / W. Morgan; that Evancic Perrault Robertson, Certified General Accountants, be appointed to review WCTA financial statements for fiscal year ending September 30, 2016.
5. RESEARCH REPORT Given orally by Peter Sorokovsky (full report posted online).
• Revenue over $25,000, expenses just over $10,000. Just over $15,000 to turf research
• $4,000 to CTRF to remain at table
• OSU alternatives to fungicide $10,500
• $2,500 for Goose Management.
• SA just under $5,000 KPU $4,000 BCGSA $1,250 THP $1,300
6. COMMITTEE REPORTS
An overview of Environmental Advocacy committee status was given orally by Keith Lyall.
• Mario Lanthier updating IPM manual
• Water restriction involvement
7. NEW BUSINESS
• Presentation of Life Member Award – Jim Ross Not in attendance: Don Biggin
• Student award announcements: Grant Johnson $1000 Stacey Reichert $500 Braeden Rogers $500 Issac Weintraub $500
8. NOMINATING COMMITTEE REPORT / ELECTION OF OFFICERS & DIRECTORS Presented by Committee Chair, Keith Lyall
President: Jason Pick (Olds College)
Vice President: Peter Sorokovsky (City of Burnaby Golf Operations)
Directors with 1 year remaining:
Travis Olson (Kamloops Golf Club)
Jim Ross (Prairie Turfgrass Research Center, retired)
Directors to be elected (2 years):
Norley Calder (City of Calgary)
Stan Kazymerchyk (Kwantlen University)
Frits Verkerk (Gallagher’s Canyon Golf Course)
Nikolas Wall (Premier Pacific Seeds)
Cameron Watt (Redwoods Golf Course)
Past President: Trevor Smith (KESO Turf)
9. PRESIDENT REMARKS
Trevor Smith this is everyone’s association, the future is you and depends on your involvement.
10. ADJOURNMENT 1:33pm
M/S/C T. Buckner