2018 AGM Minutes
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING MINUTES
55th Annual WCTA Conference & Trade Show
12:30 pm Thursday, February 15, 2018, Whistler Room A/B/C, River Rock Casino Resort
1. CALL TO ORDER
• President Peter Sorokovsky called the meeting to order at 12:41pm, introduced the Board of Directors and Past Presidents.
• Quorum was met with 167 members present.
M/S/C D. Graham / K. Hewlett; to approve AGM Agenda.
2. NOMINATING COMMITTEE REPORT - Presented by Committee Chair, Jason Pick
Peter Sorokovsky (City of Burnaby Golf Operations)
Norley Calder (City of Calgary Parks)
Directors with 1 year remaining:
Davin Marr (Hillview GC)
Travis Olson (Kamloops GC)
Directors to be elected (2 years):
Gary Bartley (UBC)
Andre Dionne (City of Coquitlam)
Jed McGeachie (Overton Environmental)
Cameron Watt (Redwoods GC)
Past President (2 years):
Jason Pick (Olds College)
M/S/C K. Hewlett / S. Carmichael to acclaim candidate slate as presented
M/S/C D. Graham / R. Watson to adopt minutes of the AGM February 17, 2017
4. PRESIDENT'S REPORT
• Necrology Report - A moment of silence was observed for WCTA Members and Turf Industry Colleagues
- Sid Puddicombe
- Casey Mahan
5. FINANCIAL REPORT 2017 Fiscal Year End (Sept 30, 2017) - Presented by Travis Olson, Finance Director
• Balance in bank accounts
o General operating: $49,397
o Research $2,061
o Term Deposits $8,217
M/S/C J. Ross / K. Lyons that September 30, 2017 year end Statement of Revenues and Expenditures be adopted as reviewed by Evancic Perrault Robertson, Certified General Accountants, and circulated at the AGM.
M/S/C K. Lyons / D. Graham that Evancic Perrault Robertson, Certified General Accountants, be appointed to review WCTA financial statements for fiscal year ending September 30, 2018
6. RESEARCH REPORT
Given orally by Peter Sorokovsky, Research Chair.
• Planning to fund one project in 2018, the Environmental Turfgrass Outreach Project by Eric Lyons
7. COMMITTEE REPORTS
• Awards and Recognition
o Student Awards
-Zach Bishop, Olds College $1300
-Jordan Bodiguel, Olds College $600
-Arran Marlow, Guelph University $600
o Stan Kazymerchyk was recognized for his commitment, service and volunteerism over the years.
o There were no life member awards presented this year.
8. NEW BUSINESS
• Introduction of ‘Institute for Turf Research Funding’ or ITURF.
o Research arm of the WCTA. Invoicing for voluntary contributions is being planned.
• Special resolution to amend WCTA Bylaws brought forward by WCTA Past President Jason Pick on behalf of the Board of Directors.
M/S/C S. Carmichael / J. Ross to strike 184.108.40.206 as it has been satisfied. To strike 220.127.116.11 as it contradicts 18.104.22.168 which is the correct version of the two. To amend 4.7.7 to allow Directors of the Board more flexibility if missing meetings under extenuating circumstances, ie. a long-term medical condition.
9. PRESIDENT REMARKS
• Thanks all for attending and supporting the WCTA. Thanks to the exhibitors, speakers, KPU turf Management Club, allied organizations, hotel staff and conference production team for efforts toward this year’s show.
• Thank you outgoing directors Stan Kazymerchyk and Frits Verkerk.for your efforts on behalf of the association.
10. ADJOURNMENT 1:16pm
M/S/C K. Lyons / T. de Crom to adjourn