Looking for Leaders!
As we continue dealing with COVID impacts, strong leadership within the Turf Management industry has never been more important. Many adjustments have been made over the past 18 months and more change is expected. The WCTA needs leaders who can manage that change, ensuring the association remains strong and successful moving forward.
Those people are called Directors and their main task is to steer the organization by determining direction, setting goals and creating policies and procedures for the benefit of all WCTA members.
Directorship is a very important role, open to any WCTA member in good standing, and takes some volunteer time and effort. At the Annual General Meeting, Directors are elected to the Board by WCTA members present. Directors impact the future direction of our industry and while doing so, learn a lot that assists their own professional development.
What’s in it for you?
• Networking - meet people from all walks of the industry.
• Professional Development – learn how to be a leader, how to communicate, how the decision making process works.
• Participate – attend events, become a representative of the industry, advocate, find out what’s going on.
• Progress – give back, help solve problems, make the industry better.
• Have your Conference Registration paid for.
• And much more…
What are the requirements?
• be a member in good standing of the WCTA.
• be willing and able to attend, in person or over the phone, up to 9 board meetings per year.
• be willing to learn new areas of the industry.
• be willing to share and exchange ideas for the advancement of all members of the Association.
• care about what the WCTA stands for and commit to two years of service to the Board of Directors.
• be willing to participate in committees of your interest.
How do I do it?
Simply send an email to Travis Olson, Nominations Committee Chair, putting your name forward along with answers to the following questions:
1) We often hear members say they didn’t vote for someone because they didn’t know them. Please provide a brief description about yourself in a short paragraph.
2) How long have you been a WCTA member and in what capacity, ie. golf course, sportsfield, schools, mechanic, hort, industry, other?
3) List any previous Board experience you’ve had.
4) Can you provide 2 or 3 ideas on how to improve the WCTA?
5) Any further comments?
We will post candidate names and answers to the above questions on our website and publish in the conference edition of the Turf Line News. If you wish to include a photo of yourself for publication, feel free to do so.
The AGM takes place during our annual conference and trade show on Feb 17, 2022 at the Penticton Lakeside Resort. For advance publication, we need nominations by January 7, 2022 however our bylaws allow nominations up to 30 days in advance of the AGM. Keep in mind that if we get more nominations than positions available, there will need to be an election which is a good thing!
Thanks for your consideration and please contact me if you have any questions.
WCTA Immediate Past President