WCTA/Sports Turf Canada Extend Partnership Agreement Another 5 Years
On July 7, 2012, after months of discussion, Sports Turf Canada and the Western Canada Turfgrass Association jointly announced a formalized, 5-year partnership agreement between the two organizations. The agreement was renewed for another 5 years in 2017 and has just been extended through July 2027.
From the agreement, key considerations include:
• WCTA recognizes STC as the national body for the promotion of better, safer sports turf in Canada
• WCTA recognizes STC as the Canadian International Affiliate Organization of the USA-based Sports Turf Managers Association.
• The WCTA will be the conduit for new STC members originating in the provinces of British Columbia and Alberta.
• The STC and WCTA agree to explore cooperative educational and professional development opportunities in the provinces of Alberta and BC in a non-competitive nature. The terms and conditions to be determined and agreed upon prior to the development of each event.
• The STC and WCTA agree to communicate in a transparent manner on issues that affect the sports turf industry in a spirit of cooperation and mutual respect to ensure optimal representation, to enhance educational and professional development opportunities and to provide resources for our members and stakeholders.
STC had been a well-established provincial organization for ~20 years prior to federal incorporation. WCTA existed since 1958, informally serving the golf and sportsfield sectors in the Pacific Northwest in its infancy, incorporating in 1973 and subsequently growing to serve 700+ members spanning multiple turf management sectors in BC, AB and SK.
From the perspective of the WCTA Board, the agreement remains sound and has enabled a decade long successful partnership between our two groups. In particular, it has served as the foundation assuring we support and serve our respective memberships collaboratively wherever possible and we look forward to the next five years of working together!