2019 AGM Minutes
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING MINUTES
56th Annual WCTA Conference & Trade Show
11:45am – 12:45pm, Thursday, February 21, 2019, Whistler Room, River Rock Casino Resort
1. CALL TO ORDER
• President Peter Sorokovsky called the meeting to order at 11:59am, introduced the Board of Directors and Past Presidents.
• Quorum was met with 147 members present.
M/S/C K. Hewlett / D. Duncan; to approve AGM Agenda.
2. NOMINATING COMMITTEE REORT - Presented by Committee Chair, Jason Pick
Travis Olson (Kamloops GC)
Cameron Watt (UBC)
Directors with 1 year remaining:
Gary Bartley (UBC)
Andre Dionne (City of Coquitlam)
Jed McGeachie (Overton Environmental)
Directors to be elected (2 years):
Davin Marr (Hillview GC)
Stuart Carmichael (City of Courtenay Parks)
Directors to be elected (1 year):
Nikolas Wall (Premier Pacific Seeds)
Past President (2 years):
Peter Sorokovsky (City of Burnaby)
M/S/C C. Iverson / T. Buckner to acclaim candidate slate as presented.
M/S/C F. Verkerk / G. Sheffield to adopt minutes of the AGM February 15, 2018.
4. PRESIDENT'S REPORT
• Necrology Report - A moment of silence was observed for WCTA Members and Turf Industry Colleagues
- Viola Freer, April 25, 2018
- Jim Slater, November 10, 2018
- Vern Burnell, December 16, 2018
- Dave Kennedy, December 31, 2018
- Mike Warriner, February 15, 2019
5. FINANCIAL REPORT 2018 Fiscal Year End (Sept 30, 2018)
Presented by Travis Olson, Finance Director
• Balance in bank accounts
- General operating: $30,137.13
- Research $25,306.39
- Term Deposits $99,746.22
M/S/C N. Wall / K. Lyons that September 30, 2018 year end Statement of Revenues and Expenditures be adopted as reviewed by Evancic Perrault Robertson, Certified General Accountants, and circulated at the AGM.
M/S/C K. D. Cheyne / D. Duncan that Evancic Perrault Robertson, Certified General Accountants, be appointed to review WCTA financial statements for fiscal year ending September 30, 2019.
6. RESEARCH REPORT
Given orally by Peter Sorokovsky, Research Chair.
• $4000 dues to CTRF.
• Three research projects recommended by committee for 2019, front runner is a project out of OSU. $15,000-$19,000 raised which is enough for one project. Looking at possibility of partnering with other groups.
• Received two donations for turf research, $540 Fraser Valley Superintendents Association and $1500 challenge from Dave Duncan.
7. COMMITTEE REPORTS
• First Green update by Stan Kazymerchyk. Committee formed, facilitator’s province wide.
• Partnering with 2019 Pat Dooley Tournament.
• Awards and Recognition
o Student Awards
- Jenna Rose, Olds College $1250
- Ksenia Thurston, KPU $750
- Jason Morgan, KPU $500
o Life Member Award was given to Jim McGarvey.
8. NEW BUSINESS
• None to report
9. PRESIDENT REMARKS
• Privileged to be a spokesperson for this group. Proud of the Association. Thanks everyone for attending. Thank you to sponsors and silent auction donors.
10. ADJOURNMENT 12:39pm
M/S/C C. Iverson / D. Duncan to adjourn.