2022 AGM Minutes
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
2:00 pm Thursday, February 17, 2022
Online via Zoom
1. CALL TO ORDER
• President Gary Bartley called the meeting to order at 2:13pm, introduced the Board of Directors and Past Presidents.
• Quorum A quorum of 35+ WCTA members was met (116 in attendance).
M/S/C C. Iverson / D. Marr to approve AGM Agenda.
M/S/C D. Marr / A. Dionne to adopt minutes of the AGM February 11, 2021.
3. PRESIDENT'S REPORT
• Thanks to the current Board of Directors and those that have served on board, staff, and committees for their support.
• Looking favorable to produce some live events this year.
• Necrology report – Moment of silence for WCTA members and Turf Industry Colleagues
o Ken Elliott, City of Richmond, Feb 2021
o Gary Perks, March 2021
o Sally Ross, OGSA, July 2021
o Graham Drew, founding WCTA Member, July 2021
o Dan Kitsul, January 2022
4. FINANCIAL REPORT 2021 Fiscal Year End (Sept 30) - Presented by Davin Marr, Finance Director
• Deficiency of $25,226.00
• Operation deficiency $13,185
• Research deficiency of $12,041.00
• Balance in bank accounts
o General operating: $22,156.82
o Research $45,052.04
o Term Deposits $102,217.21
• Adopt Sept 30, 2021 year-end Statement of Revenues and Expenditures
M/S/C P. Sorokovsky / K. Hewlett to adopt financial report as presented.
5. RESEARCH REPORT - Presented by Jerry Rousseau (full report)
• $26,373 was raised in 2021
• Currently funding:
CTRF Cooperative Funding
- PROJECT LENGTH: multiple / varies
- WCTA COMMITMENT: $4,000
Efficacy of Trichoderma Fungal Biocontrol Agents for the Control of Snow Mold Disease in Turfgrass, Michelle Franklin and Deborah Henderson, Institute of Sustainable Horticulture at KPU
- PROJECT LENGTH: 1.5 years
- WCTA COMMITMENT: $12,000 ($6000 posted in 2021, project complete and fully paid out)
Effects of Plant Growth Regulators on Putting Green Aerification Recovery,Alec Kowaleski, OSU
- PROJECT LENGTH: 2 years
- WCTA COMMITMENT: $15,000 USD for 1st year
Enhancing Turfgrass Carbon Sequestration to Improve Sustainability and Market Access, Alec Kowaleski, OSU
- PROJECT LENGTH: 2 years
- WCTA COMMITMENT: partnering 50/50 with QTRF, total value $15,000 USD (our share is $7500)
• Portion of member dues: $12,507
• Transfer from previous year surplus: $3,289
• 2021 Silent Auction contributors: $5,387
• CTRF – WCTA responsible for administration and driving national fundraising initiative.
6. COMMITTEE REPORTS
• GCSAA – David Phipps, held a successful conference 6,500 attendees in San Diego. First green seminar and field trip was sold out.
• STC – Kudos to Tab Buckner for his work offering online courses.
7. NEW BUSINESS
• Presentation of Life Member Award(s)
o Ted De Crom
8. NOMINATING COMMITTEE REPORT - Presented by Committee Chair, Travis Olson
President: Gary Bartley (UBC Athletics)
Vice President: Stuart Carmichael (City of Courtenay)
Directors with 1 year remaining:
Davin Marr (Hillview GC)
John Perry (Poppy Estates GC)
Directors to be elected (2 years):
Andre Dionne (UBC Athletics) - ELECTED
Jed McGeachie (Overton Environmental) - ELECTED
Nathan Wade (Sunshine Coast Regional District) - ELECTED
Everett Nieuwkoop (BrettYoung)
Curtis Zanussi (SD#36 Surrey) - ELECTED
Past President (2 years): Travis Olson (Kamloops GC)
9. PRESIDENT REMARKS
• Thanks all for attending and supporting the WCTA.
10. ADJOURNMENT 3:01pm
M/S/C K. Hewlett / D. Marr to adjourn