Looking for Leaders!
Steering the ship, running the show, being in the driver's seat - these expressions all convey that someone or something needs to be in charge. Being in charge implies a certain level of authority and knowledge that comes with the position. These roles inherently involve leadership although that can be an evolution of sorts.
On the subject, the WCTA is looking for leaders. We call these people Directors whose main task is to steer the organization by determining direction, setting goals and creating policies and procedures for the benefit of all WCTA members.
Directorship is a very important role, open to any WCTA member in good standing, and takes some volunteer time and effort. At the Annual General Meeting, Directors are elected to the Board by WCTA members present. Directors impact the future direction of our industry and while doing so, learn a lot that assists in their own professional development.
What’s in it for you?
• Networking - meet people from all walks of the industry.
• Professional Development – learn how to be a leader, how to communicate, how the decision making process works.
• Participate – attend events, become a representative of the industry, advocate, find out what’s going on.
• Progress – give back, help solve problems, make the industry better.
• Have your Conference Registration paid for.
• And much more…
What are the requirements?
• be a member in good standing of the WCTA.
• willing and able to attend, in person or over the phone, up to 9 board meetings per year.
• willing to learn new areas of the industry.
• willing to share and exchange ideas for the advancement of all members of the Association.
• care about what the WCTA stands for and commit to two years of service to the Board of Directors.
• be willing to participate in committees of your interest.
How do I do it?
Simply send an email to Travis Olson, Nominations Committee Chair, putting your name forward along with answers to the following questions:
1) We often hear members say they didn’t vote for someone because they didn’t know them. Please provide a brief description about yourself in a short paragraph.
2) How long have you been a WCTA member and in what capacity, ie. golf course, sportsfield, schools, mechanic, hort, industry, other?
3) List any previous Board experience you’ve had.
4) Can you provide 2 or 3 ideas on how to improve the WCTA?
5) Any further comments?
We will post candidate names and answers to the above questions on our website and publish in the conference edition of the Turf Line News. If you wish to include a photo of yourself for publication, feel free to do so.
Please note that Director nominations can no longer be made from the floor during the AGM. Deadline for 2023/2024 Director nominations is January 6, 2023. Keep in mind that if we receive more nominations than positions available, there will need to be an election which is a good thing!
Thanks for your consideration and please contact me if you have any questions.
2023 Election Prospectus:
Executive Officers: (all 2-year terms & elected in odd years)
President: Stu Carmichael – City of Courtenay
Vice President: open
Finance Director: TBD by Board of Directors at first Board meeting
Past President: Gary Bartley – UBC Athletics
Director Nominees: (two X 2-year terms elected in odd years, four X 2-year terms elected in even years)
Davin Marr – Hillview Golf Course (current Director)
John Perry – Poppy Estates Golf Course (current Director)
Four Directors with 1 year remaining:
Andre Dionne – UBC Athletics
Jed McGeachie – Overton Environmental
Nathan Wade – Sunshine Coat Regional District
Curtis Zanussi – SD#36 Surrey
For Minutes from the 2022 Annual General Meeting CLICK HERE